Learning how to clean outdoor patio shades and your other shades helps you keep your home tidy — and it can also extend the life span of your shades. Whether you have waterproof outdoor shades or another type, a few materials and some know-how are all it takes to make your space look clean again!
Before getting started, gather up all your materials. You’ll need:
- A vacuum with hose attachment: This will help you remove dust and heavier grime from your shades.
- Warm water: Lukewarm water can help clean stains and any accumulated dirt. Depending on the size of the job, you may need to refill your bucket of water a few times.
- Microfiber cloth: Clean microfiber cloths can buff away dirt without causing scratches or damage. They’re also effective for dusting.
- Mild dish soap: For stains, just a few drops of liquid soap in a bucket of water can help.
How to Clean Outdoor Patio Shades
Check out the following steps to keep your outdoor roll-up shades clean. If you have heavy-duty outdoor shades exposed to the elements, you’ll want to follow this routine at least once a month. In some environments, you may want touch-ups once a week.
1. Visually Assess the Conditions of Your Shades
Start by taking a look at the state of your shades. Get an idea of how much work you need to put in and check for any damage that may require repairs.
2. Read the Manufacturer’s Cleaning Instructions
You can find the cleaning instructions in your owner’s manual, on the packaging that came with your shades or even online. If you can’t find the instructions, contact the manufacturer. Some manufacturers may suggest certain soaps or specific cleaning methods. Failing to follow directions could damage your shades or void your warranty.
3. Clean Your Exterior Solar Shades
Start cleaning the headrail with a slightly dampened microfiber cloth. Then, vacuum the shade itself and follow up with a slightly dampened microfiber cloth. When vacuuming, hold onto the shade to prevent damage.
4. Plan Ongoing Maintenance
Get into the habit of regular light cleaning to keep your shades working and looking their best.
Benefits of Cleaning Your Outdoor Patio Shades
Cleaning your shades regularly offers many benefits:
- It helps your shade operate correctly.
- It helps them look their best.
- It allows some light to come through and allows you to enjoy your view.
Of course, it all begins with quality shades. If you need new shades for your outdoor living area, contact the experts with more than 60 years of combined experience — reach out to Shading Texas for a free estimate today!
Matt Pierce has been working in the solar shade industry for over 15 years, providing sun protection in the extremes of Alaska and Texas. His dedicated team at Shading Texas will get your the sun solutions you need to enjoy your patios and homes for years to come by blocking out bugs, sun, wind, and rain!