How to Save Money on Your Air Conditioning BillDuring hot Texas days, it’s tempting to run your air conditioning all day long. But keeping the AC on runs up your electric bill, costing you a bundle. Have you ever wondered how to save energy and keep your AC bill low? Follow our tips to reduce your electric bill for AC.
1. Install New WindowsInefficient windows may be letting too much hot air into your home, forcing you to crank up the AC to stay comfortable. If you have old windows or the frames around them are cracked, investing in new windows is your best long-term strategy. While there is an upfront cost, it will save you money on electricity in the long run.
2. Install a Programmable ThermostatProgrammable thermostats allow you to set different temperatures for your home throughout the day. You may set the temp to be cooler in the evening and at night, when your family is home for dinner and sleeping. But during the day, when everyone is at work or school, you can set your unit to let the temperature rise a few degrees, lowering the amount of AC you need.
3. Replace Your HVAC FiltersFilters collect dust and prevent it from entering your heating, ventilation and air conditioning unit. If the filter on your HVAC is filthy, then your AC will run less efficiently, using more energy and pushing up your electricity bill. Replace the filter every two to three months at minimum, and increase that frequency if you have pets, as their dander and hair can also clog up the filter.
4. Add Insulation to Your AtticHot air can seep into your living areas from above. Adding insulation to your attic will keep the warm air out. Make sure to insulate crawl spaces as well.
5. Hang Out in Your BasementHeat rises, so avoiding that hot air will allow you to keep your AC on low. By spending more time in your basement or on the ground floor, you avoid the hottest area of the house.
6. Avoid Cooking During the DayTurning on your oven or stove raises the heat in the entire house. Instead of cooking dinner for your family when you get home from work, try meal prepping in the morning so you only have to microwave a few dishes to eat. Try to take full advantage of your grill in the summertime as well — cooking outside won’t raise the temperature in the kitchen, plus everyone loves grilled food.
7. Install an Awning and ShadesPreventing the sun from entering your home is one of the best ways to decrease the need for air conditioning. When you have an awning installed over your patio and add shades to your windows, you can significantly reduce the amount of sunlight that comes in, keeping your home cooler and eliminating the need for air conditioning. Now that you know how to save money on your air conditioning bill, start implementing our tips and cooling your home. Get in touch with Shading Texas today to get an estimate on awning and shade installation.